1. Obtaining Qualifications in Slovakia If you need to have your previous education recognized or verify your professional competence according to the qualification standard, you must take an exam at the relevant educational institution.
If you are interested in obtaining a qualification, you can enroll in the corresponding accredited educational program at an institution in Slovakia. The Information System of Further Education can be used to find the specific program. Educational programs are conducted in the state language, and the fee is determined by the respective educational institution.
After completing an accredited educational program or demonstrating 5 years of experience in the relevant field, you can apply for an exam to verify professional competence. Successfully passing the exam will result in obtaining the qualification.
The exam to verify professional competence is conducted in the state language, and the fee is determined by the relevant institution (up to a maximum of 300 euros). Information about the exams can be found on the Information System of Further Education website.
Applicants for the exam must be individuals who, at the latest on the day of the exam, have reached the age of 18 and have completed compulsory schooling according to special regulations.
Applicants must attach the following to the exam application:
- Officially certified copy of the document attesting to the level of education attained
- Officially certified copy of the certificate of completion of an accredited educational program leading to the acquisition of a partial or full qualification, for which verification is requested, or confirmation from the employer of at least 5 years of experience in the relevant field
- Certificate of medical fitness for the performance of the relevant professional activity (if required)
- Proof of payment of the fee
Failure to submit complete documentation will result in the applicant not being admitted to the professional competence verification exam.
Frequently Asked Questions.
Can I complete the educational program or exam in a foreign language?
2. Educational programs, as well as exams, are conducted in the state language.
Can I receive financial assistance to cover part or all of the fees for a specific course and exam?
You are responsible for covering the costs of the course with your funds. However, various programs are available to assist in covering part of the fees (such as REPAS for job seekers registered with the relevant employment offices).
- Useful Links: Adult Education for Foreigners Lifelong Education Department of the Ministry of Education, Science, Research, and Sport of the Slovak Republic Overview of Qualifications within the Slovak Qualifications Framework, National Classification of Education in the Slovak Republic with a detailed description of study and training fields and their focuses linked to the level of the Slovak Qualifications Framework/European Qualifications Framework.