The procedure for a traffic accident involving a foreign national or with the involvement of a foreign vehicle is regulated by the internal regulations of the Police Corps Presidium. In this regard, the police officer must carry out the following tasks:
- In every traffic accident involving a foreigner or a foreign vehicle, the officer requests the presentation of the liability insurance payment document if, according to specific regulations, the driver is obliged to carry such a document. If the foreigner provides an international insurance card, the officer verifies its validity within the territory of the Slovak Republic and ensures the card is signed. The details found—such as the name, validity, and document number of the liability insurance payment—are recorded in the traffic accident protocol or record.
- In case of damage to a foreign vehicle requiring handling of cargo due to the traffic accident, the relevant customs office or customs authority is informed.
- If the foreign vehicle is damaged, the officer always issues a confirmation to its driver stating that the traffic accident has been reported and investigated by the Police Corps.
This confirmation primarily includes:
- Date and place of issuance
- Date, time, and location of the traffic accident
- Manufacturer’s mark and registration number of the vehicle, name and address of the vehicle holder, name and address of the vehicle driver at the time of the accident
- Detailed description of the damaged parts of the vehicle
- Official stamp of the Police Corps unit investigating the traffic accident and the signature of the issuing officer, along with their identification number.