The service is intended for citizens of the Slovak Republic residing abroad. Through this service, it is possible to submit an application for the issuance of a certificate of Slovak Republic citizenship abroad or for the determination of Slovak Republic citizenship to the relevant diplomatic mission of the Slovak Republic, where the applicant reserves a meeting during their stay abroad for processing the application – list of diplomatic missions list of DM. The output of the service is the delivery of a certificate/confirmation of Slovak Republic citizenship to the citizens of the Slovak Republic abroad. In the case of using an eID card, communication with the citizen takes place through the eDesk mailbox, speeding up the application process and significantly reducing the risk that the applicant must visit the diplomatic mission multiple times. However, the service can be utilized even without using an eID card. A guaranteed electronic signature of the citizen is not required for processing the electronic form. The service is available 24 hours a day.
The service is subject to a fee at the diplomatic mission. The amount of the fee is determined by the respective diplomatic mission, usually in the local currency of the country where the diplomatic mission is located. More information about fees for individual diplomatic missions can be found on the websites of the respective diplomatic missions – list of DM.
The request for determining Slovak Republic citizenship is submitted by a citizen of the Slovak Republic.
The following documents are required for successful service processing:
- Proof of identity (ID card, passport)
- Birth certificate of the applicant
- Additional documents that may confirm or help determine Slovak Republic citizenship or former Czechoslovak citizenship, especially:
- Birth certificates of parents
- Document of personal status (marriage certificate, valid court decision or confirmation of divorce, death certificate of the spouse if the applicant is a married man/married woman, divorced/widowed)
- Domicile certificate
- A passport used for traveling abroad (or that of the parents)
- Previous certificate of citizenship
- Confirmation of non-acquisition of Czech Republic citizenship (provided by former Czechoslovak citizens who lived in the Czech Republic between 1969 and 1992)
- Confirmation of acquisition of Czech Republic citizenship (provided by former Czechoslovak citizens who acquired Czech Republic citizenship by choice or grant after December 31, 1968)
- Other documents confirming facts stated in the application (nationality confirmation, etc.) are necessary for assessing the application if the applicant is requested to submit them by the diplomatic mission or district office in the region.
Steps for using the electronic service: The following steps outline the process of utilizing the electronic service for submitting an application for a certificate of Slovak Republic citizenship or determining Slovak Republic citizenship abroad. A detailed description of using electronic services from the Ministry of Interior of the Slovak Republic can be found in the User Guide for Electronic Services, available on the application submission website.
- Completion of the electronic form (optional step, but submitting the completed electronic form will shorten the time spent at the diplomatic mission).
- Reservation of a meeting at the respective diplomatic mission – after submitting the reservation, a message confirming the meeting reservation will be sent to your eDesk mailbox (or email). To validate the reservation, it must be confirmed. If your identity documents are nearing expiration, make the reservation at the diplomatic mission as soon as possible.
- Submission of the electronic form and reservation to the respective diplomatic mission.
Steps after using the electronic service: In case you have submitted the electronic application form and reservation, the following activities will be required:
- Communication with the diplomatic mission’s employee – if the submitted electronic form has deficiencies, an employee from the diplomatic mission will contact you to address the discrepancies before your visit to the diplomatic mission. Communication will take place through the eDesk mailbox if you submitted the application after logging in with your eID card or through the email you provided in the contact details if you were not logged in.
- Visit to the diplomatic mission – arrive at the diplomatic mission at the reserved time, providing all the necessary documents listed in the service description. During the visit, sign the application for determining Slovak Republic citizenship, pre-filled if you submitted the completed electronic form along with the reservation.
- Receipt of the certificate/confirmation – The certificate/confirmation of Slovak Republic citizenship, prepared based on the application submitted to the diplomatic mission, will be delivered to the diplomatic mission where the applicant can collect it, or it can be delivered to the address specified by you if you request it, and it can be arranged for the applicant to receive the certificate/confirmation. Basic information:
- Mandatory fee: Yes
- Reservation required: Yes
- Legislation: The service is provided according to Act No. 40/1993 Coll. on Slovak Republic citizenship