wooden table and chairs in a forest

Indefinite Permanent Residency


I wish to secure indefinite residency in Slovakia. What are the requirements?


Unlimited permanent residence in Slovakia is granted to a third-country national who fulfills the following criteria:

  1. Has been granted permanent residence for at least four years according to § 43 of the law (which typically means having permanent residence for 5 years).


  1. Is a child under 18 years of age of a third-country national with permanent residence for an unlimited time, or a child under 18 years of age entrusted to the personal care of a third-country national with permanent residence for an unlimited time.

For your application for permanent residence for an unlimited period of time, you will need to provide the following documents:

  1. A formal request.
  2. A valid travel document. The foreign police will not accept your application without this document.
  3. Two photos sized 3×3.5 cm, which should reflect your current appearance.
  4. Documentation proving your financial security during your stay.

If you fall under option 2 (a child under 18 years old):

  1. Health insurance.
  2. Integrity documentation for persons older than 14 years.
  3. Consent according to § 43 par. 2.
  4. Document proving the situation as per § 46 par. 2.
  5. A medical certificate confirming that you do not suffer from a disease that threatens public health, obtained within 30 days of submitting the application.

The police department may request additional documents from third-country nationals, such as:

  • A document confirming the provision of accommodation, not older than 90 days.
  • An affidavit confirming that the reasons for granting permanent residence are still applicable.

Please note that the foreigner’s police will typically assess whether you have met the conditions for permanent residence for 5 years and that you have not spent more than 180 days outside the territory of the Slovak Republic. If you have stayed outside for a longer period, it is important that you have reported this fact to the police, as required by § 50 par. 1 letter c of the Act on the Residence of Foreigners. The police often verify this using passport stamps. If your passport has been replaced during this time, the police may ask for additional documents, such as photocopies of airline tickets, receipts, service records, purchases, invoices, and so forth to verify your travel history.