close up shot of a happy elderly couple hugging while looking at camera

Foreigner’s Retirement Residency

I know someone who wishes to reside in Slovakia, and we are willing to provide support, although we are not family. This individual is a British citizen. What type of residency can be arranged for him in Slovakia?

A UK citizen who is not covered by the UK’s withdrawal agreement from the EU and therefore does not have the associated residency rights is considered a third-country national while in the territory of the Slovak Republic. Consequently, the relevant provisions of Act No. 404/2011 Coll. on the residence of foreigners apply to their stay.

If this individual is not a family member of a Slovak citizen or an EU citizen, they do not meet the criteria for obtaining permanent residency as a third-country national or registering as a family member of an EU citizen.

Regarding the possibility of obtaining temporary residency in the Slovak Republic, each type of temporary residency is linked to specific purposes such as business, employment, education, and similar objectives. The applicant must choose their purpose from the available options. Therefore, temporary residency cannot be granted solely for the purpose of retirement or living in Slovakia.

The only available option for the UK citizen mentioned is a short-term stay based on an exemption from the visa requirement, which, however, is limited to 90 days within any 180-day period. This type of stay is more aligned with tourist activities and similar purposes and does not align with their intention to reside in the Slovak Republic since they would be required to leave the country after 90 days. (source: uhcp)