Civil marriage in Slovakia.

Place of Civil Marriage Ceremony:

  • At the registry office designated for the district in which one of the prospective spouses has permanent residence.
  • Note: The registry office may permit the marriage ceremony to take place at another registry office or any other suitable location (requires permission). In case of imminent threat to the life of one of the prospective spouses, marriage can be solemnized before any registry office or at any location (permission not required in this case).
  • Abroad, before the competent authority of the Slovak Republic – for a Slovak citizen who wishes to enter into marriage outside the country.

Administrative Procedures and Documents Required for Civil Marriage:

A marriage application form, available at the registry office, must be submitted to the registry office by both prospective spouses.

At least 7 days before the marriage ceremony, the following documents must be submitted to the registry office:

  • Proof of citizenship
  • Residence confirmation
  • Birth certificate
  • Identity card or another document verifying identity
  • Death certificate of the deceased spouse, or marriage certificate of the terminated marriage in case of a widower or widow, or a valid divorce decree in case of a divorced person, or a valid decree declaring the marriage invalid.Note: Documents (except for death/marriage certificate or valid divorce decree) can be collectively replaced by submitting a valid ID card or proving one’s electronic identity with an electronic chip ID.

Documents containing information about individuals related to registry events recorded in marriage, birth, and death books (marriage, birth, death certificates) do not need to be submitted to the registry if they are already part of the electronic registry (central database of registry events integrated with the Register of Physical Persons).

Reporting Obligations for Changing Surname after Marriage:

  • Obtain a new ID card within 30 days.
  • Obtain a new driver’s license (and related documents) within 30 days.
  • Notify the employer/labor office, health insurance, social insurance (or employer), bank, doctors, telephone operator, and others about the change of surname.
  • Obtain a new travel document (passport) – if planning a honeymoon trip, it’s advisable to check the conditions of airline companies regarding surname changes and possible sanctions for ticket transfers.